Skip to Content
Law Offices of Michael M. Felix Law Offices of Michael M. Felix
SE HABLA ESPAÑOL 562-445-4870

Canadian Actors Living and Working in Both Canada and the United States


The American film industry is permeated by talented Canadian actors. The majority of Canadian actors are legally able to work in the United States as a result of having obtained an O-1 Visa. A Canadian actor may obtain an O-1 Visa when the actor is an individual who has demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

A frequently asked question by Canadian actors is whether Canadian actors can live and work in both the United States and Canada while on an O-1 Visa.

The answer is yes.

The O-1 Visa will not restrict Canadian actors from working in Canada. In fact, the O-1 Visa permits Canadian actors to enter and exit the United States multiple times during the duration of the O-1 Visa. USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) is well aware that a Canadian actor may need to exit the United States during the tenure of the O-1 Visa so that the actor may work in Canada as well as other parts of the world. Thus, a Canadian actor may temporarily live and work in the United States as well as live and work in Canada while having an O-1 Visa.

However, keep in mind that for the duration of the O-1 Visa, the Canadian actor must work for the employer or agent who served as the petitioner for the Canadian actor while in the United States.

If you are a Canadian actor and are interested in obtaining an O-1 Visa, or if you are a Canadian actor and currently have an O-1 Visa and would like to renew your O-1 Visa, please give our office a call at (562) 464-6934. The Law Offices of Michael M. Felix specializes in obtaining O-1 Visas for numerous international actors' including Canadian actors. Call our office today for a free consultation.