International Mixed Martial Arts
fighters scheduled to participate in an MMA event, competition or performance in
the United States must apply for a P-1A Visa.
A P-1A Visa is a non-immigrant work visa granted to individual athletes
who are coming to the United States to perform at a specific athletic
competition as an athlete at an internationally recognized level of performance.
What does this mean?
This means that an individual who has mastered any of the following categories:
- Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
- Kick Boxing
- Vale Tudo
- Muay Thai
- Free Style
- Greco-Roman Wrestling
Or a cross-training in any of these areas AND the individual has obtained
a high level of achievement in these areas, then the individual may qualify
for a P-1A Visa.
What does high level of achievement mean?
A high level of achievement means that the individual has earned some sort
of degree or skill and recognition substantially above those who have
ordinarily encountered such achievement. The achievement should be renowned,
leading or well known in
more than one country.
Contract for the Event
The Mixed Martial Arts fighter must also provide a copy of the contract
with a major U.S. sports league or a contract in an individual sport that
is equal to international recognition.
In addition, the individual must be prepared to explain the event and/or
The individual should also provide documents which show at least
2 of the following 7 categories:
- 1) Evidence of having participated to a significant extent in a prior season
with a major United States sports league
- 2) Evidence of having participated to a significant extent in international
competition with a national team
- 3) Evidence of having participated to a significant extent in a prior season
for a U.S. college or university in intercollegiate competition
- 4) A written statement from an official of a major U.S. sports league or
an official of the governing body of the sport which details how you or
your team is internationally recognized
- 5) A written statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized
expert in the sport which details how you or your team is internationally
- 6) Evidence that you or your team is ranked, if the sport has international rankings
- 7) Evidence that you or your team has received a significant honor or award
in the sport
If you are an international Mixed Martial Arts fighter and are scheduled
to perform in an event or competition in the United States, you will need
to apply for a P-1A Visa. At the Law Offices of Michael M. Felix we specialize
in obtaining P Visas. We have obtained P-1A Visas for various Mixed Martial
Arts fighters including, but not limited to the internationally recognized boxer:
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Please call the Law Offices of Michael M. Felix for your free consultation at
(562) 464-6934. We will work with you to ensure that you have what it takes to not only
apply for the P-1A Visa, but to be granted a P-1A Visa. We have a 100%
approval rate in P-1A Visas. Contact us today!